Probation Department Visitor Center
4136 Branch Center Road
Sacramento, CA 95827
Phone: (916) 875-6996
Fax: (916) 876-8857
Who Can Visit?
When Are Visitation Hours?
How Do I Schedule A Visit?
What Am I Allowed To Bring To A Visit?
What Are the Visitation Rules?
Parents and legal guardians may visit. All others (extended family, clergy, etc.) must be approved by the resident’s probation officer, his/her supervisor, and the Youth Detention Facility Duty Supervisor. No more than three (3) visitors are allowed to visit a resident at a given time; groups of visitors in excess of three will be rotated into the Visitor Center throughout the scheduled visiting period and shall be considered a single visit. It is unlawful for any person who has a warrant to enter the facility.
Anytime during Visitor Center operational hours (must be completed prior to the Detention Hearing).
8:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. Monday - Friday (must be day of court)
General Visits (Family):
Monday through Thursday - 4:00 PM to 8:00 PM
Saturday and Sunday - 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM
Initial, Post-Court, and Professional Visits:
Every day - 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM
Faith and Family Engagement Event
Scheduled visits are given priority and are strongly encouraged. Scheduled visits begin on the hour and last for 45 minutes.
To schedule a visit using Probation’s automated system:
- Call (916) 874-2777
- At the menu, press 3
- Enter either the residents X-ref number or name
a. Press 1 to enter the x-ref number
b. Press 2 to enter the resident’s name
- Enter the month, day, year
a. Press 1 to accept the next available day
b. Press 2 to enter a specific day
- Enter the time
a. Press 1 to hear the next available appointment time
b. Press 2 to enter a specific time
- Confirmation number – if you visit has been scheduled correctly, you will receive a confirmation number. Use this number in case you need to cancel your visit.
Visits begin on the hour. Visitors arriving late will not have their visiting time extended.
Canceling a Visit
To cancel a visit, call (916) 874-2777
Non-scheduled visits are permissible but are subject to space, availability, and time constraints with respect to scheduled visits. Visits begin on the hour. Visitors arriving late will not have their visiting time extended.
Visitors must comply with all instruction of the Youth Detention Facility staff and abide by the rules below:
- Provide valid, photo identification. The following are approved identification documents:
- State Driver’s License
- State Department of Motor Vehicles Identification Card
- Armed Forces Identification Card
- Identification Card issued by the United States Department of Immigration and Naturalization Services
- Matricula Consular De Alta Seguridad (MCAS) issued by the Mexican Consulate
- Conduct themselves in a reasonably courteous and appropriate manner and shall not infringe upon the rights of others. Should a visitor appear unfit for a visit, the visit may be denied or terminated
- Pass a criminal records check; clearance is required before visitors are admitted
- Pass a metal detector search
- Refrain from smoking in or around the facility at any time
- Dress conservatively and in good taste; inappropriate attire may be cause for denial of visitation; prohibited attire includes:
- Gloves, hats and non-religious head coverings (e.g. scarves, bandanas)
- Bathing suits
- Bare midriff and/or bare feet
- Clothing exposing breast/chest, genital area, or buttocks
- Sheer, see-through or excessively tight clothing
- Clothing appearing to be gang related
- Clothing glorifying drugs, alcohol, violence, racism, etc.
- Refrain from grooming resident's hair during visit
- Obtain permission from staff before giving or accepting anything from a resident
Visitors may bring:
- One white handkerchief
- Tissue pack (unopened)
- Two keys on a ring – no attachments
- Five approved pictures
- Approved magazines
- Paperback books
- Unsealed greeting cards; all other written mail/correspondence must be mailed
Personal items for residents must be clearly marked with the resident’s name and should be surrendered to staff upon entry to the Visitor Center and will remain at the Counselor’s Station until the end of the visit.
Visitors may purchase items for a resident at the vending machines inside the visitor center. No other food or beverage is allowed to be passed to the resident.
The following items are prohibited and must not be brought into the Youth Detention Facility or given to any resident:
- Drugs, alcohol, or intoxicants of any type
- Weapons, firearms, tear gas, pepper spray, explosives or ammunition
- Tobacco, tobacco products or lighters of any type
- Chewing gum
- Purses, backpacks or packages of any type
- Hair products of any kind
- Non-prescription medication (medication must be handled by the medical clinic. The Youth Detention Facility Visitor Center staff may not accept resident’s medication from a visitor)
- Sexually explicit or gang related material
- Pagers or cellular phones
- Cameras, radios and electronic or recording devices
- Writing materials or hard back books
- Outside food and beverages